Sunday, December 7, 2014

Heavy rain!


Type: PS3 game
Published by: Sony Computer Entertainment
Developed by: Quantic Dream
Release date: February, 2010
ESRB rating: M for mature
I'm not a gamer, but I like to enjoy some good games along the way :D And thanks to my brother I was introduced to this masterpiece!
Heavy rain is one of the best games I've ever played. The proof is, here we are 5 years later and I still remember it ^_^
My gaming experience: Heavy rain is a unique gaming experience, it introduced the concept of interactive games where you get to decide how the story unfolds.
Let's start at the very beginning, I liked that when the game was installing at first, it gives you something to do. You find inside the CD's box a little piece of paper with writings on it, during the loading you are given instructions on how to fold the paper to create the origami figure that will prove to be a master player in our game.




When the game starts, you may find it a bit slow. But this slow game-play is for you to get used to the controls and it somehow feels like the calm before the storm :D
I liked Ethan's house a lot and it looked so cheerful and bright with all those balloons and stuff. And I instantly felt connected to him when I knew he was an architect :D I only found his work space after the third time playing the game and I was glad I finally did, it was cool watching him do that drawing in mere seconds like magic!


The mall! From here the journey starts, and the scene at the end of it is devastating, It really got to me that first time :')
The story progress is very compelling and the game keeps you on the edge of your seat. It has all the ups and downs of a well executed movie, you empathize with the characters and are intrigued to find the origami killer.
What makes the game more interesting is that you get to play with four characters. Ethan, the struggling father who searches for his kidnapped son, Norman Jayden is an FBI profiler who was assigned to assist the police in the origami killer investigation, Scott Shelby formally a police officer and now a private investigator who works on a origami killer case and finally Madison Page a photojournalist who got caught up in the case.


I loved playing with all characters, but I think my favorite were Norman and Ethan. Norman's ARI was so cool and it felt like entering a whole different dimension and Ethan, I just couldn't help but feel sorry for him all the time, I honestly wanted him to be happy again. Having Madison was a nice change from all those male characters :D




One awesome thing about the game is the fact that even if you die, the game still goes on! Yes main characters can be killed off and you'll miss some of their game-play, but you get to see that your decisions really do affect the game.
The twists and surprises are refreshing to the game, ensuring that once the action starts you won't have dull moments. I applaud the writers for that. The cinematography and art direction was really good and perfect for mood setting. The soundtrack is beautiful and complements the game well.
After finishing the game the first time, I wanted to play again and again to see all the endings and collect more trophies :D Yes, I love collecting trophies!


When an update for the game was made, so you could play with the new PlayStation move I just had to play it again! It took time to get used to the move, but after that it felt really nice and the move allowed for more involvement with the game.


Verdict: Finally, This is definitely one of my favorites games, I give it 9/10. Also I'm glad people saw that too. It received positive reviews and was crowned game of the year multiple times.

No comments:

Post a Comment