Thursday, December 18, 2014

Movie of the day

So I've heard about this movie a couple of times and I was intrigued to know why it took 12 years in the making. Also the poster is just beautiful! So far I'm optimistic and can see potential in it.

Here are some info before we start in case you don't want to see the minute by minute review :D


Movie: Boyhood
Genre: Drama
Starring: Ellar Coltrane, Patricia Arquette, Ethan Hawke, Lorelie Linklater
Release date: August, 2014
IMDB rating: 8.4/10
Rotten tomatoes rating: 99%
Plot: Boyhood is simply a journey through life. It follows Mason throughout his life from the age of 5 till 18. We watch how life can change a person, form our characters and define our paths.
My rating: 9/10

So here I am starting a new kind of posts, writing this review while watching the movie giving you step by step how I feel, this could have spoilers so be careful :D

One minute in: Ooooh! Coldplay's yellow. I love this song! great start (Y) (Y)
The boy is soo cute ^_^
Four minutes: Harry Potter! This is getting more appealing :D
Aw! Poor mother, but a good one.


Six minutes: What an annoying sister I wanted her to stop too!


Sixteen minutes: So far so good. Ethan Hawke looks really young and skinny here :D
Twenty-two minutes: I like the fact that he's talking politics with his children, my father always did that with me :) He's not the perfect father and clearly he's making mistakes, but I'd give him a chance.
Twenty-six: Wow! So fast, a stepfather, well they seem happy.
Thirty minutes: Oh this is soo cool! A Harry Potter book release event. I wish we had those here in Egypt!

Forty minutes: Well, it seems things are getting more real. The stepfather has some control issues and the father feels like a lazy guy, I hope he's not living off something illegal.
Forty-six minutes: I'm starting to dislike the stepfather, he can be mean sometimes.
Forty-nine: Aw! Adorable when that classmate told Mason he looks "kewl" :D


Fifty-two: Gasps! I was freaked out!!! I now Officially hate the stepfather! Divorce him, get the kids and leave!


Fifty seven: Take all of them! Why would she take only her kids, I wouldn't leave any child with that man! I hope they'll be okay.
An hour, eleven minutes: I really like the father, he's cool and he wants to be involved in his children's lives. I absolutely love the camping trip! Heart-warming.


An hour, twenty two minutes: Mason hanging out with the wrong crowd. I don't like this, Those kids look suspicious and I'm almost sure something bad is about to happen.
Well thank God nothing happened :D
An hour thirty one minutes: This is nice and cool. Each parent has a partner and they all seem to get along well.
Side note: Mason's hair is too long!


An hour, forty six minutes: I can totally relate to that lost phase, I'm kind of still there. You try to figure out what you want to do, how you'll contribute to this world and where to leave your footprints.
Two hours, two minutes: Thinking about deactivating his Facebook profile. I've wanted to do that for such a long time and I've tried once not to be on FB for a couple of days and it felt relieving. But the issue is that sometimes, it's my only way to contact some people and since I'm unemployed at the moment this is how I waste my time. I'd love to take a break for a while , but I'm sure I won't be able to totally give it up!


Two hours, twelve minutes: I really like that little chat with his teacher, you do find your people in college ^_^ And I was excited for Mason to finally start his true journey :D
Two hours, twenty one minutes: Mason's finally out of high school and his graduation party is very nice. I was smiling the whole time :)


Two hours, thirty minutes: I love that! We can actually see the work of fate in action, how a simple act of pure kindness and care changed someone's life. Thank you for that moment!
Two hours, thirty four minutes: Mason really looks a lot like his father, how could they predict that from casting the child actor!! Oh and I like that song he's playing in the car :D


Two hours, forty minutes: The end of the movie! I liked that ending scene and I kept thinking Mason should have brought his camera the scenery is amazing!




Stop skipping here! :D

This is were I tell you my final verdict.
Review: I absolutely loved the movie! It's nothing major, no superheroes, no technology and yet it managed to leave a mark in me.
It is such a refreshing breeze in the middle of all the technology driven, war themed movies (I love those, don't get me wrong). It is simply a movie about people and life experience.
I have to applaud the cast and crew for their huge patience and hard work, I can't imagine working on a project for twelve years without running around telling everyone about it :D and also the fear of the unknown, anything could have happened during those 12 years ending this movie.
The cast was very good, they performed great performances especially Ellar Coltrane as Mason. You could feel they all felt like a family even if they only met a couple of weeks every year. It was very cool watching the characters age on camera and Mason managed to transform from a beautiful boy to a handsome young man.


The cinematography is nice, nothing fancy following the simple yet compelling theme of the movie.
The soundtracks were really good. You could here the progress in music along with watching the characters grow.


Finally, I don't know if this movie would appeal to everyone, some may find it boring, others would be like me enjoying the change. The movie was criticized for receiving golden globes nomination instead of blockbusters and high-priced movies, but I think they deserve a little nod of appreciation for sticking with this movie for 12 years. I'd name an award for them "Best loyal cast and crew" :D

No comments:

Post a Comment