Thursday, October 9, 2014

Song of the Day (28)



Song: No Reply
Artist: The Beatles
Album: Beatles for Sale
Year: 1964
Genre: Rock

     No Reply is a Beatles' song written by John Lennon and recorded in 1964. The song is about a guy whose girlfriend doesn't reply to his calls, pretending she's not there but he sees her and knows she's lying. He sees her with another man and it hurts him but he's ready to forgive her, if she realizes that he loves her the most. The song was praised for bring story-like and complete; it felt like watching pictures in a girls' comic book. Lennon mentioned that the song was inspired by The Rays' Silhouettes from 1957.
    Well, that's the story of the song, but that has nothing to do with why I like it. I'm not interested in romantic songs, let alone ones about cheating girlfriends. I prefer happy songs. No Reply's lyrics might not be happy, but I thought the music was, possibly, because it was based on a major chord (C-Major). Also, when I hear the song a certain scene comes to mind. We were in Alexandria. It was in autumn, late October or early November. It was before sunset, and the weather was magnificent. The cool air of autumn was blowing. We were driving by the sea, passing by the old buildings worn out by the sea, but still looking good; and I was listening to No Reply! :) 


That's not my Photo. It's a shame I didn't think of taking a photo
back then. I don't have the mindset of a photographer after all.



No comments:

Post a Comment