Saturday, August 30, 2014

Ravioli!!

           So, we were at one of our college best friends' wedding a couple of days ago. The wedding was in a hotel, and as the habit goes, an open buffet dinner was served. It was one of the rare occasions when I didn't, really, feel like eating. However, I went along with Summar. There were several types of pasta, but Summar picked one with white sauce that was shaped in rectangles. I prefer red sauce for pasta, but that looked appetizing so I had a bit too. We filled our plates with other stuff, then we started to eat. I started with the pasta;, I put a piece into my mouth and started to chew and then magic happened! There was the yummiest mix of cheese I ever tasted. Just remembering the taste, right now, is making my mouth watering! The rectangular pasta pieces were stuffed with cheese. Its taste reminded me of the Tortellini I ate at Sbarro years ago, but that was stuffed with cheese and chicken, and it was round. Summar was smiling pleasantly, and when I asked, she said that she was just admiring how delicious that was…Yes! That's how dreamy it was!


          After researches, I found out that the magical pasta dish is called Ravioli! It can be served with red sauce or white sauce, though the white sauce suited it perfectly. It can also be stuffed with things other than cheese. I went, instantly, for the recipe. It wasn't good news for me though. Apparently, you have to do make the pasta yourself. I never tried it before and I don't know anyone who tried to make pasta from scratch at home.
         The dough to make the pasta consists of: flour, water, eggs, olive oil and salt, which are the basic ingredients for any dough. Why didn't we ever try to make pasta before?!
         Then, there's the cheese filling, which contains of Ricotta, Parmesan, Roman, Asiago and cheddar cheese blended with eggs, salt and pepper. That's all simple and available, as well. Maybe, except for Asiago cheese. Does cheese with that name even exist?!
         Apparently, yes! However, it can be replaced by Romano and Parmesan, which are already there, so it's not necessary.
 All easy so far!
-Now you have to mix the stuff for the filling together, and refrigerate them for 30 minutes. Then go for the dough. Crack the eggs and beat them with the water, oil and salt. Then, add the flour and make the dough!
-Now you have a dough. Roll it out with a rolling pin and then, using a round glass cut circular pieces of dough.
-Fill them with the refrigerated cheese mix and seal them.
-Place the Ravioli pieces in a pot filled with boiling water, until they cook.
-Finally, top it with your favorite sauce!
        Now that I think about it… that was easy! I am so making that for dinner next week! I am so excited right now! I want to eat that again, and I am cooking pasta from scratch!! I am broadening my horizons! .. That went too far! But good food can really drive you nuts! I might update this post, if I keep my word and try it for dinner, next week.

       So, that's  where I got the recipe: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Ravioli
The illustrating pictures are really helpful. I couldn't get a word , from all the other recipes I checked. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment