Monday, September 1, 2014

Anime Character of the day (11)

Note! This post contains major spoilers! If you haven't finished One Piece's Summit War saga yet, then don't read this!



Character: Portgas D. Ace
Anime/Manga: One Piece
Age: 20
Role: Supporting

        Where do I start?! Well, if there's a super cool supporting character, you can't possibly not like and who is important to the main character, then it's time to worry. I've seen the pattern four times now. 
   For me, Ace was a series of surprises. First, he turns up looking for Luffy, which is weird in itself; who knows or cares about Luffy? Then, we see the tattoo on the back and we're informed by Zoro that the tattoo means he's a member of the white beard pirates, under White beard, one of the 4 emperors. Then, it turns out he's not just a member, he's the commander of the 2nd division. Then, there comes a bombshell, he's Luffy's brother! Brother?!He has things as family and such?! I mean Luffy came out of a wooden barrel in the middle of the sea (That's what I was thinking back then). He's Luffy's older brother but he's much smarter, stronger and more reliable. He, also, has the fire devil fruit. He stays with the straw hats for a short while, then he takes his leave, in order to pursuit Blackbeard his former underling who betrayed them. We see him again when he faces black beard, finally, and we don't know what happens. Then, suddenly, Ace is to be executed by the marines. Wait! What?! When did they even get him?!  (Of course I realized it was black beard's doing, that was just for theatrics.) Anyway, Garp ,his and Luffy's grandfather, visit him in jail and they talk about Ace's father, whom he obviously hates, but why does it sound like he's a different person from Luffy's father? Well, because he is! And that's when the second bombshell comes! He's Gol D Roger's son! He's the pirate king's son! He and Luffy are not biological siblings (That should have been obvious, they don't even have the same surname). So,whitebeard the strongest man alive, starts a big war with the Marines for Ace's sake. A war in which he sacrifices his own life, for Ace to live. Luffy, also, risks his life and dream and takes part in freeing Ace from the execution platform. All for Ace to die anyway, saving Luffy (who has been there in the first place to save Ace's life), and after it was too late for White beard to back down. He couldn't even die after Whitebeard had died so that the man would die in peace. No! He died right in front of him just to assure him that his sacrifice had gone in vain. It was all heart breaking, but the one that got me the most was Garp! Anyway this about Ace so let's forget about Garp now, I'll be writing about him one day. With his death, Ace ends the flow of surprises by a surprise. I mean an entire saga about saving Ace, for him to die anyway! (That's me pretending to be surprised, because I had that spoiled on me before I even know who the hell is Ace -_- )



So, did I like Ace?
        Generally speaking, yes! He seemed like a mysterious, interesting character with a slight sense of humor, on his brief debut. Then, there was his first encounter with Luffy, during the anime timeline, in one of my favorite and most hilarious One Piece episodes. He's very strong, smart, polite and reliable. You can't help but admire him. While accompanying the straw hats, it's clear he's concerned about Luffy , because he's well.. an idiot, and he asks the crew to watch for him,
before he leaves. He's such a good brother! (That's what was going on in my mind while watching). His encounter with Black beard confirmed it. He was willing to fight Blackbeard, anyway, but he was more determined when he knew that Black beard was after Luffy, but then he got caught -_- , can’t blame him though! Black beard is very strong, and Ace put up a good fight. Ace seized to be cool, right after that and settled for being the good brother.
I mean, I really admired that all he was concerned about, when he heard that Luffy infiltrated Impel down to save him, was Luffy's safety, but he was a bit of a whiner in Marineford. I understand he didn't anyone want to get hurt because of him, but the whining was too much and of no use. For dramatics, we could have settled for the Ace-Garp moment before the war breaks out. It was really heart breaking :'( Garp!! Back to Ace! He had his chance to be cool again when he was freed by Luffy. We could get a final glance on his cool fighting style and he's admirable strength.
That was before he decides that White beard  bad mouthed is more important than all that was sacrificed by everyone who came for his aid, and falls for Akainu's trap!
Finally, he dies as a good brother, saving Luffy from a fatal blow and giving us one!  -_- . I am not blaming Ace for being so good, and protective and respective for White beard and his comrades. It' just that I didn't want him to die!! It was important for Luffy's character development though, so I shall let it go. R.I.P. ACE!



That was too long, I've never written that much about anything before… May be I shouldn't be talking about little Ace now. 
Oh! I forgot to mention that Ace has one of the highest bounties ,among the one we know, in One Piece. I feel like I have leftout many important things, but seriously that's enough for a daily post!
Now, I feel like re-watching the Ace-Luffy meeting in Alabasta episode again,I miss the old One Piece *sigh*...

Update: Now, that I've re-watched the episode I remembered how much I liked Ace! Seriously! Why did he have to die?! T_T

No comments:

Post a Comment