Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Song of the Day (4)



Song: Sukiyaki / Ue o Muite Arukō (I shall walk looking up)
Artist: Kyu Sakamoto
Year: 1961

   Sukiyaki is a Japanese language song. It's the only Japanese song ever to reach the top of the U.S. Billboard hot 100. It's also one of the best-selling singles of all time. Many cover versions were made for this song in English and other languages by famous artists.So, how did I find out about this song?
   On one lovely Tuesday, a couple of months before, I decided to watch a studio Ghibli animated movie. "From up on poppy hill" was the chosen one. I, absolutely, loved it, but this shall come later in a review, one day. Let's get back to the song! There was this scene where Shun was taking Umi to the market, down the hill, on his bike. It was twilight, starting to get dark, and the street lights were already on. With all the colorful labels, and the people walking and talking along the way, it felt peaceful. I felt like jumping through the screen and being there. I felt like eating whatever, it is that Shun gave Umi (She said it was delicious, can't let that pass!). Anyway, this is one of my favorite scenes in the movie and what made the experience even more charming was Sukiyaki playing in the background. It perfectly suited the simple, lovely and peaceful atmosphere.


    I've been charmed by this song since then. I had it for company, many times, while working on our graduation project. It has this soothing effect on me. I can't help but smile whenever I hear it.

No comments:

Post a Comment