Thursday, August 28, 2014

TV series character of the week (2)


Name: Walter Bishop
Actor: John Noble
Show: Fringe
Role: Main character
About the character: Walter is such a difficult character to explain! Walter was a Harvard graduate who had post graduate studies in Oxford and MIT. He worked with his life time friend and partner William Bell on experiments in the basement of one of Harvard's colleges. Their work focused on fringe science, genetic engineering and quantum physics. Walter's IQ is 196 which is definitely very smart :D

Walter was admitted in a psychiatric institute for seventeen years after being accused of manslaughter. He developed weapons for the military and did -not very legal or ethical- experiments on humans.
When the FBI encounters accidents beyond their understanding, they require the help of Peter Bishop, Walter's son, to help them deal with Walter in solving those mysteries.


Why I Chose him: Walter is my absolute favorite character in this show. I can't explain how much I admire him. With each episode I shout, this guy deserves an Oscar, honestly one of John Noble's master pieces. He successfully portrays Walter as a disturbed genius, who has this huge amount of knowledge. Despite being this smart, the character is so warm due to his memory problems and somewhat childish behavior. I mean how cute is it that he loves licorice and has a pet cow named Gene. It's amazing watching Walter develop relationships with other characters. Two very special relationships is with his son Peter and his assistant Astrid.
Peter <3 my second favorite character, maybe I'll talk about him later. Anyway, it's heart warming to watch them develop that father-son relationship. Two scenes in particular are unforgettable, when Walter has kept Peter's Christmas presents for  more than 10 years and finally presents him the box ^_^ The other one is in the episode before the last, it's a one minute conversation but holds so much emotion, unfortunately I can't describe the scene in fear I might reveal something, but it breaks my heart every time :').





Walter with Astrid is pure laughs :D The way he always forgets her name calling her Astro, Asterix, Ostrich and even Claire one time which doesn't start with an A XD Their famous strawberry milkshake, the way Astrid feels like his baby sitter, and how mush she understands him. They also have a brilliant moment in the finale that just brings you to tears :').




I won't even start talking about Walternate and how amazing he is. It just shows how clever the writers were to create such a different yet logical version of Walter. I just love hating him :D
Another thing that makes Walter so lovable, is that you can feel how much John Noble enjoys playing him. He gets to play a genius who has every reason to go crazy, one time walking around naked in the house giving Peter a heart attack XD


Finally I recommend this show to anyone and you're sure to fall for sweet sweet Walter (as I call him :D).
Now I feel like I want to re-watch the whole thing XD

No comments:

Post a Comment