Saturday, November 29, 2014

Movie of the day

I don't know if it qualifies as a movie :D It's sort of a short movie that I found on BBC a while back.


Movie: Bekas
Genre: Drama
Starring: Zamand Taha, Sarwar Fazil
Release date: Short version in November, 2010 and a longer version in November, 2012
IMDB rating: 8.1/10 for the short & 7.4/10 for the long version
Plot: Bekas is a movie set in Kurdistan, Iraq revolving around two orphan brothers, Dana (10) and Zana (7), who attempt to cross the world on their donkey to go to America (USA).
The boys have encountered hardships in their dying country and are treated badly by grown-ups, when they are struck with hope when they watch a superman movie through a hole in the local cinema's wall. They believe once they reach superman he will avenge them and help them lead a happy peaceful life.


My rating: 9.5/10 ^_^
My review: I'm totally in love with this little gem of a movie. One day my dad and I were watching TV and this scene puts us under its spell that we just had to watch :D Imagine watching a cute little boy making plans and collecting money to buy a donkey and he runs around saying he'll meet superman! <3


 The pure humanity of this movie is so captivating and touching. The movie tells a tale of what people have to face in a country left to poverty and ignorance, two young orphans who were left to the streets and have nothing but each other. You watch how they care for each other and would let nothing set them apart.


The two young actors were brilliant! They delivered easy to like characters. Zana was so cute and smart. I loved the fact that he was the master mind and how Dana would just follow :D Dana was such a protective caring older brother, that made me appreciate mine :)




This is what they'd call a "festivals movie", but it wouldn't make it less than what it is. It means it's a good one on a cinematic level as well, so go ahead and watch :D
I'm afraid I'll start spoiling the movie, so I won't talk more but I definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a nice movie simply about people.
Note: The last scene left me in tears, it was just beautiful :') 

No comments:

Post a Comment