Sunday, November 16, 2014

Series of the week


Series: Awake
Genre: Drama, action, mystery, thriller
Status: Ended
Seasons: 1 (13 episodes)
Network: NBC
Starring: Jason Isaacs, Laura Allen, Dylan Minnette
IMDB rating: 7.9/10
My rating: 9/10
I thank fate that brought me to this great show. I just woke up to find my father flipping through TV channels and then we find this car accident of a family and we're glued :D I was even more lucky to find that I've caught it at it's first episode, in it's beginning as well which never really happens!



Since I didn't know it's the first episode I decided to not pay attention to the TV and let myself enjoy it on the internet. I read that it was some sort of mini series and checked to see if we have a decent ending or a cancelled show ending style. After that I just ran to tell Yosra about it with a marathon in mind :D We ended up finishing 13 episodes in 6 days which blows the marathon theory out the window, but I didn't mind it was great all in all and what fun would it be watching a show and not fangirling about it with Yosra ^_^
So the main plot is revolving around detective Micheal Britten who has a car accident with his wife, Hannah and son, Rex with him. We then see Micheal with a psychiatrist talking about the weird reality he's living, he lives in two parallel realities and can't tell which is true. Each time he goes to sleep or loses consciousness he shifts between those worlds, one with his wife and the other with his son.



We watch Micheal as he struggles to keep balance between his worlds and his two psychiatrists (in each reality) try to convince him that the other world is merely a very detailed and creative dream his mind built to help him cope with losing a family member.


The show is practically perfect in my opinion. It has a very interesting plot and adds so many great elements that just make it work. It's such a pleasure watching how the two worlds intertwine and the cases Britten solves as a detective.


The acting is superb! I'd give Isaacs an Emmy or just carve him any trophy specially for him XD I mean who knew that I could actually love the guy who played the vicious Lucius Malfoy in Harry Potter. He perfectly portrays the guy who's struggling to keep the little sanity he believes he has, and delivers an excellent performance with his co-stars.


Hannah wasn't my favorite character but she was a really nice wife. I loved Rex so much, will you just look at his smile <3 Britten's partners were great especially Vega :D And it was nice watching the different versions of partnership in both realities.




The psychiatrists were perfect as well! I enjoyed their opposing views and how they were picking on each other :D Also Laura Innes made a great captain, I like the fact that she was a woman.



I can't spoil the ending, but for those doubtful in fear of how it will turn out, I tell you that it's not exactly a closed one but the writers planned it to be this way and please don't let that deprive you of this great show.
What really made the show different is the human relationships, I'm such a sucker for those. The different layers of relations Micheal has, is amusing to watch and the feelings are so rich and fulfilling. Just give me a show with a creative plot and great friendships and I'm happy :D



The last three episodes are crazy good, but watch them in your room because you'll start talking to your laptop and people would think you're crazy :D
Finally, people's theories are just awesome. They come up with some interesting, creative and logical ones, so with these kind of shows I jump to IMDB discussions boards and enjoy reading ^_^

I'll stop myself here, because I'm afraid of spoiling things and stating my favorite moments. So I urge you to watch this and feel free to come back for discussions ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment