Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Book of the Week (3)



Book: Anansi Boys
Author: Neil Gaiman
Genre: Fantasy – Mythology – Humor
Goodreads rating: 3.97/5

            If I were to describe Anansi boys in one word, I'd say eccentric. Anansi boys was my first Neil Gaiman book. I was really excited about reading a book by Neil Gaiman, since I got the impression he's kind of different. I've read too many books that fall under the fantasy genre, but his would be different. I've got that impression from the two Doctor who episodes he's written. They were, really, unique. I wouldn't say they were among my favorites but they were unique. I didn't know which Neil Gaiman book to start with, so I decided that I'd just start with the one I find first in the book stores and Anansi boys it was.
           Anansi boys is a second book in a series that goes by the name "American Gods". That's something I've discovered 5 minutes ago (-_-), but that's not the point, apparently they are not related. I mean, I didn't feel like there was something missing when I was reading the book. So the book is about fat Charlie, who was given the nickname by his father. That gives you the idea what kind of a father he is. He's the kind of a joker who'd always embarrass you. That's why fat Charlie preferred to live on the other side of the Atlantic, and leave his home in Florida. However, the book starts with the death of that father on a karaoke stage. He just collapsed. That's when trouble starts. Charlie's Father, who's called Nancy by the way, turns out to be a God. Not just that, it turns out Charlie had a brother he didn't know about. With his long lost brother showing up, a fiancée he's to marry soon, an oddly annoying boss and a dead father, all together, the story takes its turn.  
           About my experience with this book, it was unique. It was not something I've experienced with any other book. It’s not like the other fiction work that kept me on the edge of my seat. I didn't get that feeling I get when I read other good fantasies, "I need to read the next chapter right now." Or "I can't stop reading this book!". However, I looked forward to reading it, not because I am curious or I want to know what happens next. It's more like because it had a way of getting me out of the realistic world. Reading it changed my mood. I mean at first sight, it seemed like a normal story from the real world, but then it took unexpected turns and it became something different and unique.

Anansi the trickster
            Also, the fantasy in this work seemed peculiar to me. It was different from anything I read. I am used to reading books in which the author creates a world with its rules and creatures. While reading the book you find out more about this world. However with Anansi boys it's different. It's based on West African and Carribean folklore. That's the reference for the origin and nature of the God after which the book is named, Anansi. The author didn't create a world. He just mingled two worlds, our real world and the world created by the Ashanti people, who are believed to be the origin of the myth, in their folklore. However, he did that skilfully, and the product was really enjoyable and fun to read. Also, the humor was different but really good. I'd laugh out loud sometimes, even when I'm reading in a crowd. I think, I'll read more Neil Gaiman books, when I get the chance to.

My Rating: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment