Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Song of the Day (18)



Song: Song for Ten
Artist: Tim Philips (Series) – Neil Hannon (Album)
Series: Doctor Who
Album: Doctor Who: Original Television Soundtrack
Composer: Murray Gold
Year: 2005 – 2006

        Song for ten… It brings back memories. So, I started watching Doctor who, because of all I've heard and read about it. I started with the new Doctor who though. I was told by a friend who started watching it before me, that David Tennant's 10th Doctor is brilliant. She got me so excited that I wanted to skip series 1, not that I did, and Christopher Eccleston was cool too. Anyway, David Tennant's first episode was an event to me. It was a Christmas special and I love Christmas specials! There's something cheery about them. He was asleep most of it, though. Anyway, I remember that the episode ended happily and I was happy. I, still, remember how it felt watching the Doctor going through the wardrobe, choosing an outfit, and checking himself out in the suit and the trench coat, then joining Rose, Jackie and Mickey for Christmas Dinner. What made these moment memorable for me was the absolutely charming song playing in the background: Song for Ten. I was eager to listen to the full version of the song in the original soundtrack, however, unfortunately the full version in the OST was performed by a different singer. It didn't have the same charm as the one that played in the series, the one performed by Tim Philips. It was a big letdown for me.


      The attractiveness in Song for Ten lies in everything about it, the music, the lyrics and the singing voice. I've got to admit that if I'd heard Tim Philips's voice in some other song, I might have found it peculiar, but it perfectly suited Song for Ten.
      As for the lyrics, the part that played in the episode, kind of went well with the events in it. It's the happier part in the song and I really like the verse that says:
'Cause I followed my star
And that's what you are
I've had a merry time with you'
Well… no reason why I just like it! :D
The OST's version is longer, including one verse that quotes Eccleston lines on his parting with rose in "The Parting of the Ways", and another verse that speaks for the tenth Doctor, when he parts with Rose on "Doomsday". Both memories are depressing, so that's the darker part of the song, though the music sounds cheerful; that's why I like the first half better. It brings good memories, and that's all for today! 

No comments:

Post a Comment