Thursday, September 25, 2014

Character of the Day (4)



Character: Ukitake Jūshirō
Anime: Bleach
Role: Supporting

            During the seemingly eternal time I spent in the taxi today, I started thinking about anime and for some reason I can't remember I was making a list in my head of the most amiable characters in all the anime I've watched. That's when I remembered Ukitake Jūshirō. He was, definitely on the list. I remember, back then when I used to watch Bleach, how much I liked him, but his appearances were a few, so I couldn't consider him as my favorite. However, he was my favorite captain in the Gotei 13, along with Shunsui Kyōraku who happens to be his best friend.
             Ukitake is one of the earliest captains in the Gotei 13. He's the captain of the 13th squad, to which Kuchiki Rukia belongs. He's often staying at his family's state due to his illness. Because of his illness, his hair whitened when he was young, and he's seen coughing blood at some intense moments when he's exerted himself. If not for his low stamina, due to his weak health, Ukitake would have been considered one of the strongest captains on par with Kyōraku, probably. They were both, among the first graduates of Yamamoto's academy and the first to become captains. They were trained by Yamamoto and have been captains for over 100 years. Ukitake along with Kyōraku are the only dual blade users among Shinigami. His Zanpakutō's , Sōgyo no Kotowari, ability is to reverse his enemy's attack but with much more strength, one blade takes in the attack and the other releases it. We've never seen his bankai, though I'm definite it should be something huge, since his Shikai is already too powerful. Ukitake has no vice, currently. His former vice was Shiba Kaien, who died and has not been replaced.





    








Now why I like Ukitake? There are many reasons for that, but let's just start with the fact that he makes me smile whenever I see him. He so sweet, gentle and humble. I recall the scene where he was sitting with Shiba Kaien at his residence and the servant blushed at his smile, when she was presenting tea, and Kaien makes note that Ukitake is charming, a compliment he dismisses humbly. Also, how he keeps showering Hitsugaya with candy and snacks is so funny. Also, being best friend with Kyōraku, is one of his pluses! :D It was a filler arc, but Sōgyo no Kotowari's form was just so cute! And the way he's been treating them, how more cute could he be! Also, the way he was wth Lynette the arrancar, not fighting her because she's a child and actually giving her tips on how to improve herself! I'm just adoring him more and more right now! XD 







          However Ukitake's gentle side is not what he's all about, his honorable and moral side is equally impressive. He treats everyone with respect. He does what he thinks is right, even if that means breaking rules or rejecting higher orders, without being disrespectful. That's clear with Rukia's execution incident. He contradicted Yamamoto, and with Kyōraku, he stopped the execution. They try to avoid a battle with him though, by running away instantly, but they fail and engage in battle, which didn't last for long because of Aizen's revelation. Ukitake cares a lot for his underlings and he respects them, and he's protective of them. That was clear in Kaien's death incident. He respected his wish to face the hollow that killed his wife alone, in spite of his worries. He, also, tried to protect Rukia, who went after Kaien against Ukitake's word. She was attacked by the hollow after it had possessed Kaien. Ukitake tried to stop him, but his illness got in the way and Rukia had to kill him. One of my darkest Bleach moments was when I thought he might've died in the fake Karakura town arc. I was more than relieved when I saw him eavesdropping, with his cheery smile, on Yamamato, after Aizen's defeat, when he was scolding Kyōraku, Byakuya, and Kenpachi.











     I want to watch Bleach right now and watch Ukitake and Kyōraku again! And watch my favorite Bleach character. I'm not telling who it is yet. There should be some respectable post for him in the future. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment