Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Song of the day (13)

Pompeii


Artist: Bastille (British band)
Album: Bad blood
Genre: Indie rock, Synthpop
Release date: January, 2013
About the song: Pompeii was the fourth single in the band's first studio album and was number one in the Official streaming chart for seven weeks. The song topped the charts in UK, Australia, Italy and was number 5 on the US Billboard Hot 100. It talks about the Roman city Pompeii and its destruction by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius in 79 AD. The song had multiple covers and was featured in TV shows such as Glee and Reign.
Why this one: The song's opening is what grabbed me that first time I heard it, I had no idea what it's name was and frankly can't quite remember how I found out :D But when I did I was intrigued by its name and jumped to Wikipedia to find my answers. And here are some cool facts I found. Pompeii along with Herculaneum and other cities were buried under ash and pumice for over 1,500 years, until it was rediscovered in 1599. The cool thing about this is that most of the city was salvaged using plaster to fill the voids between ash layers enabling us to find human bodies in the state that they unfortunately died in. The city is a UNESCO heritage site and has thousands of visitors each year. So if you're ever in Italy check out this city and find out more about its history.




Another thing that grabbed my attention to the song, is that heavy British accent that almost made me laugh :D I mean listen to that "almost" or "close" you'll know what I mean ;) Anyway it's a good band that's still growing, so keep them in your list.


No comments:

Post a Comment