Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Song of the Day (22)


Song: Sicilienne, Op. 78
Composer: Gabriel Fauré
Year: 1898
Genre: Classical Music

            It didn't take me long to think about today's song, for it has been playing in my mind the entire day. It's not a song, but something much better! I am a fan of classical music. More than anything else, it can change my mood. It has this magical feel.
             Sicilienne, Op. 78 is a piece composed by the French composer Gabriel Fauré for Cello and Piano. It was dedicated, when released in 1898, to the British cellist William Henry Squire.
              How I happened to come by Sicilienne, is another story that proves anime to be something awesome! :D
              I first heard Sicilienne in Hyouka, but then I was not aware it was a classical piece. I knew Hyouka used classical music as soundtrack for the anime, for I recognized a couple of them, but not this one. I was overwhelmed by Hyouka atmosphere and the music was part of it so I didn't notice how especially brilliant Sicillienne was. However, I was watching La Corda d'oro yesterday and Shimizu Keiichi played it in the 3rd selection of the concours, and I recognized it, immediately, as the one from Hyouka. That's when I realized it should've been a classical piece I didn't know of. The original Sicilienne is played by Cello and piano, so is the one that was played by Shimizu in La corda d'oro. However, the one that played in Hyouka was by flute and piano, and since that was the very first version I hear, of Sicillienne, so I liked it better. May be if I had heard the original version in cello, first I would have liked it more. Whatever is the instrument that plays Sicilienne, It has this very charming effect on me. I can't help but smile when I listen to it.
           That's the version I heard in La corda d'oro played by Shimizu Keiichi. They said he didn't play it very well, though I can't see the difference between it and the original; but then, I am no expert in music, let alone Cello.



           And this the version played in Hyouka, with Flute and Piano. Now, that I've heard both so many times, I think I'm getting used to the cello version, and I'm starting to like both of them equally! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment