Friday, September 12, 2014

TV Series of the Month (1)



TV Series: Supernatural (2005-    )
Genre: Horror / Mystery / Fantasy / Drama
Network: CW
IMDB rating: 8.7/10
Starring: Jared Padalecki - Jensen Ackles

           Supernatural takes me back to high school days. I started to watch it on my second year of high school on TV, about 7 years ago. The show is 2 years older than that, though. I liked horror movies, and I thought it'd be lovely to watch a horror TV show. Mum was the one who watched it first, by the way, and told me about it, which is very ironic, since she stopped watching it after season 2 and I've been up to 9 now. Anyway, from season one I recall very much the episode about the tree branches behind the window that turned into the hand of some monster. I was fascinated by it, since I have similar looking branches behind the window of my bedroom! :D Also, I remember the episode when Sam and Dean kept playing tricks on each other. It was very funny and I always had something for humor. I remember mostly, though, the finale and how much I was worried that Dean might have died. He was my favorite. I was dying to watch the premiere for season 2 and know what happened. Good old days, before Sam or Dean almost dying or actually dying on the finale, become some sort of a habit. I liked the simple supernatural from the early seasons, with a mystery to solve, for every episode, a new story, and a new creature. That doesn't mean that I don't like the later Supernatural seasons, I mean they have Castiel, that's more than enough, for me, to watch them. However, the earlier seasons had their charm.



                                            


So basically, Supernatural is a TV series, where the 2 main characters, Sam and Dean Winchester, look for abnormal accidents, or seemingly supernatural incidents. They try to solve the mysteries behind those incidents, with an open mind to the involvement of supernatural creatures behind them. In supernatural you're likely to meet every possible supernatural creature; the series is up to 195 episodes, they've got to be creative. In every season, we have those separate mysteries and we have a bit of a story line and a main villain, though things got a bit more complicated later. The mysteries in supernatural and the stories are, generally, interesting and entertaining. The main characters Sam and Dean make a good duo. They are siblings and that's the main source of the drama in the show. They keep having their ups and downs, which has been mostly downs lately, but they care for each other in the end. I've always liked Dean better, because he was more kind and caring to Sam, and more importantly because he was the humorous one. However, lately I've been more favorable of Sam. Being the caring one has taken its toll on Dean; he's become more of a drama queen. The villains in supernatural are, generally, interesting some of them were more interesting than the others, and some of them used to be more interesting, but the plot development didn't do them good. For a show to continue for over 10 seasons, there has to be lots of twists and turns. Supernatural does that pretty well. They make some unpredictable twists, ones you might like and ones you might not. I, for insistence didn't like the twist in the finale of season 9 (which I am not going to talk about, because I am not including spoilers in this post, but I had to say it!), but many people liked it, since it was unpredictable. ِAlso, they can be very creative with the ideas for the episodes; I daresay one of the best in that aspect. I, particularly, remember "The French Mistake", "Hunteri Heroici" and "Changing Channels". I, really, enjoyed those!  




            Finally to sum up all that, is supernatural worth watching? Yes! It, absolutely, is. If you are a fan of supernatural and horror, and you can stomach some gory scenes, then you can't miss this show. You can, also, count on Dean's sense of humor, Sam's awkwardness, and later, Castiel's cluelessness for a good laugh. You can get your good share of tear jerking moments, as well, if you're a fan of those. I've never cried, myself; but then, I never actually, as much, shed a tear at anything I've watched. Well… may be except for the Okita Mitsuba arc from Gintama, and Vincent and the Doctor from Doctor Who. There were other moments were I felt like crying, but the situation didn't allow, like there were other people in the room and…. This is not the point from this post so, I shall stop here.


My Rating: 8/10
I would've given it a 9+/10 four years ago. However, 8 is not a bad rating either. I didn't stop watching SPN and I'm not planning to. That makes it good enough, for me.

Note! Of course, all the criticism and judgment in this post, is personal opinion. The IMDB rating for the show is higher than mine. There are many who find the show, still more enjoyable than I do. The negative atmosphere maybe because I still can't get over the last season finale.

No comments:

Post a Comment