Monday, September 15, 2014

Song of the Day (16)



Song: Dream On
Artist: Aerosmith
Album: Aerosmith (Debut Album)
Year: 1973
Genre: Rock

      Dream on is the famous American rock band's first major hit. It was written by their lead singer of Steven Tyler. It's a power ballad, which is produced by slow-tempo songs building to a loud and emotive chorus backed by drums, electric guitars and sometimes choirs. This form of ballad turned up in the early 70s, as rock stars meant to convey some deep messages to the audience through their songs.
      The song ranked high on many lists. It was, also, sampled in Eminem's song "Sing for the moment" from The Eminem Show album. It was the only son in Aerosmith's debut album, in which Tyler uses his real voice. He was insecure about his voice on tape, so he went with lower tones like soul artists for the rest. The song is famous for building to a climax that ends with Tyler's trademark screams.
      Dream on was sang by the Voice US. Season 3's contestant Amanda Brown, who was highly praised for her magnificent performance by all media outlets including Rolling Stone magazine.
      I first heard the song as a part of "Sing for the moment" and I had no idea back then it was actually a sample of a song that really exists. The reason why I liked Sing for the moment, in the first place, was that sample. Then I heard it, many years later, on the Voice by Amanda and I was astonished by how good she was, and how good the sing is. Then, that I've realized it's a song by Aerosmith, I listened to their version, which became one of my favorite songs. Also, I came to admire Tyler's unique voice, but I can't say I like his screams that much. 

No comments:

Post a Comment